Pinchbeck East C of E

Primary Academy

Be The Best Version Of You

What will the school do to support my child?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:


  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class within well differentiated ability groups. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside professionals/agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that if your child has gaps in their understanding/learning then extra support will be put in place to help them make the best possible progress.


All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work within a smaller group of children
This group or one to one support may be:


  • Run in the classroom or outside
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups


Stage of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: SEN Support
This means they have been identified by the class teacher and/or SENCO as needing some extra support in school which could include the support from outside professionals/agencies.

For your child this could mean:


  • He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant/teacher or outside professional/agency – like a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) will run these small group/individual sessions
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a SALT or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with you, your child, class teacher and SENCO to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set specific targets which will include their expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional/agency, e.g. a social skills group


This type of support is available for a child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and who therefore has been identified as requiring SEN Support.


Specialist individual/group support
AND/OR individual support for your child of less than 20 hours in school 


Outside professionals/agencies could include:


The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies can be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups and who therefore has been identified as requiring SEN Support.


Specified Individual support
This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care (EHC – Plan. This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional/s outside the school (as mentioned above).


For your child this would mean:


  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out an Education, Health and Care assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school has submitted the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child), a panel of professionals address this referral at an EHC Allocation Meeting and decide whether an assessment is to happen (the panel meet once a week). An outcome will be given usually within the first 6 weeks from when the request was made. If it is agreed that an assessment should take place then relevant agencies will be asked to write reports and submit these usually within 6 weeks of the request being made.
  • A Multi-Agency Meeting (MAM) is then held to write a draft EHC Plan. This is held at a location accessible to all (usually the school) and is led by the Local Authority caseworker. Parents and all relevant professionals involved with the child will be invited to attend.
  • Finally, an EHC Multi-Agency HUB meeting is held to finally decide whether the draft plan generated at the MAM has been agreed or not and therefore whether an EHC Plan is necessary or not. From there the Local Authority contacts parents to name the school they would like on the EHC Plan. Parents have 15 days to respond. The Local Authority then contacts the school to see if they can meet the needs of the child. This whole process can take up to 20 weeks.

             This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong


If your child receives SEN Support or has an EHC plan you will be invited to regular IEP reviews or Provision Map of Intervention which will go through your child’s strengths and difficulties and set targets for them to achieve. Where possible and appropriate your child will sit in on these meetings. Children will always have their targets shared and agreed with them. Children with an EHC plan will also have an Annual Review to discuss how well they are doing, the progress they are making and next steps including targets and the type of support they will receive.