Pinchbeck East C of E

Primary Academy


What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher. Concerns can be discussed at parents’ evenings which are held twice a year, or by making an appointment to meet with your child’s class teacher at any point throughout the school year.


This information will then be passed on to the relevant staff members within the school.


Class/subject teacher
Responsible for:
– Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Head of School and SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) know as necessary.
– Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
Ensuring that all staff members working with your child in school are supported to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
– Ensuring that the school’s SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


Responsible for:
– Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
– Ensuring that you are:
– involved in supporting your child’s learning
– kept informed about the support your child is getting
– involved in reviewing how they are doing
– Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy (SALT –, Educational -Psychology (EP), etc.
– Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are records of your child’s progress and needs.
– Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.


Head of School and/or Executive Head teacher
Responsible for:
– The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
– S/he will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
– S/he must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


SEN Governor

Responsible for:
– Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO and/or Head of School.

You can also refer to the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: 0-25 years’ for statutory guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with SEND and their parents.